All businesses have legal obligations concerning asbestos, this applies to every non-domestic premises and some domestic premises built before the year 2000.
If you have control of a premises, are a manager, landlord, duty holder or responsible for maintenance and repair, you are required to protect others who work or use the premises from asbestos exposure. To comply with the law, you should undertake:
- A sufficient assessment carried out as to whether asbestos is or is liable to be present in the premises.
- A risk assessment of all sampled or presumed asbestos containing materials.
- A written plan on how to manage the risk of the asbestos within the premises.
- An Asbestos Refurbishment and Demolition Survey before any intrusive works disturbing the fabric of the building.
- Asbestos awareness training for all employees or contractors that may come into contact with asbestos.
To briefly summarize how to comply with the law, you would require:
- An Asbestos Management Survey on all non-domestic or domestic premises for which you own, manage or lease.
- The Asbestos Management Survey report will provide a risk assessment of all presumed and identified asbestos containing materials.
- An Asbestos Management Plan (written plan), specific to each site/premises for which you own, manage or lease.
- An Asbestos Refurbishment and Demolition Survey undertaken before anyintrusive works is carried out on premises.
- An Asbestos Re-inspection Survey carried out on a continual 6 or 12-month cycle. These must be undertaken by a competent person.
This is not an exhaustive list, just a brief summary of actions to be taken to ensure you are compliant with asbestos legislation.
With over 3000 asbestos products, there is a high possibility of asbestos being present in buildings built before the year 2000. For further information, see our Asbestos in Building page.
Asbestos poses a serious health risk and when disturbed or damaged asbestos fibres become air-borne. Once inhaled, these fibres get into the respiratory system and can cause various fatal respiratory diseases, for which there is no cure. For further information, see our Health Risks page.
Our Services include a comprehensive Asbestos Risk Management Service to ensure you comply with all current laws and regulations and maintain compliance all year round.