An asbestos management plan is a living document that sets out the mechanisms by which Asbestos Containing Materials (ACM’s) are managed. It should take into account all existing regulations and guidelines pursuant to work with the removal or management of asbestos and will require updating as company procedures change, or as regulatory requirements change.
It assists the duty holder, in part, to fulfil the requirements and obligations under current legislation and to provide the means from which exposures to asbestos may be prevented through the combined efforts of all parties (i.e. management, staff, maintenance, contractors, consultants etc).
A responsible person, usually per site, will manage the day to day administration and maintenance of the asbestos management plan. Its effective implementation will minimize the risk of exposure to asbestos fibres and should be:
- Specific to each site/premises for which you own, manage or lease.
- Bespoke to your requirements as a client and the working practices on site.
- Sufficient for asbestos materials identified within premises, the type of premises that they are present and the size and complexity of company.
The information below is an introduction to the format STONE ASBESTOS LTD use when producing asbestos management plans for our clients.
Part 1 – Information, Procedures and Guidance - with Appendices
This is mainly for the use of the duty holder, responsible persons and management staff. However, it must be read in conjunction with the asbestos register (part 2) for each building or structure.
This part of the document provides information, procedures and guidance relevant to the management and control of asbestos containing materials known or presumed to be present within premises, consisting of:
- Relevant legislation and documents
- Company’s Asbestos Policy Statement
- Roles and Responsibilities
- Asbestos Management Strategy
- Asbestos Assessment
- Management Procedures
- Works and Visitor Protocols
- Emergency Procedures / Damaged ACMs
- Appendix 1 – Staff Training and Awareness Record
- Appendix 2 – Contractors Asbestos Awareness Training Record
- Appendix 3 – Archive Information
Part 2 – Asbestos Survey Register (Current Version) with Appendices
This is also for the use of the duty holder, responsible persons and management staff. However, this will be the main part used by contractors, staff, maintenance workers, visitors and responsible persons in the day to day administration and maintenance of the asbestos management plan.
The initial asbestos management survey will provide accurate information on the location, amount and condition of ACMs. The information from the initial asbestos management survey report will be used to form an asbestos register, which contains relevant asbestos and building information, consisting of:
- Site and Building Description
- Asbestos Register
- Survey Data Sheets
- Floor Plans
- Emergency Procedures / Damaged ACMs
- Appendix 4 - Contractors Review of Asbestos Register/Survey
- Appendix 5 - Material Re-Inspection Record (asbestos co-ordinator)
STONE ASBESTOS LTD are an independent asbestos consultancy and our aim is to:
- Maintain integrity, impartiality and independence
- Provide an unrivalled level of service to our customers
- Produce comprehensive asbestos reports and management plans
All our surveyors are competent and customer focused to provide an exceptional service and experienced in surveying commercial, industrial and domestic premises.
STONE ASBESTOS LTD are members of the British Occupational Health Society, retain health & safety accreditation SSIP through Acclaim Accreditation and are members of Constructionline.
Contact us today for FREE professional and impartial advice regarding asbestos.